How to block YouTube completely on Android ? This was a question, which a friend asked me. I was surprised by the query, but people do have their reasons.
Perhaps they don’t want to be disturbed by loud noises or auto playing videos, or may be they have expensive data plans. If you have kids, you may want to block YouTube to prevent them from watching harmful content.
Regardless of the reason, is it actually possible. Yes, you can. Here’s how to YouTube completely on Android. There is a catch though, you need to have a rooted device. This method will work on both phones and tablets.
Before we start, I would like to state this here. You can’t just add Youtube.com to an ad-blocker, like AdAway (which is what I use to block ads), and expect it to block the website. That’s because, YouTube has a ton of sub-domains, which are used to deliver videos for users.
1. The only effective way to block the service, is by editing the hosts file. To do this, you need to use a File Manager app which is capable of accessing the root folders and has a built-in text editor. For e.g.: You can use Root Explorer, or Solid Explorer, or ES File Explorer.
2. Depending on whether you use Magisk or SuperSU, you need to grant root access to the File Manager. Now, open the File Explorer and navigate to the following folder on your Android device:
3. There is a hosts file here. Open that and select your File Manager’s text editor, to view it. Select the edit option (pencil icon), and you will be able to edit the file.
4. Open your web browser and go to this Git Hub page to get the Block YouTube Hosts File:
5. You can copy the full list of websites on your phone, or send it to yourself via email or text (using Telegram, WhatsApp,etc).
6. Paste the content which you copied into the Hosts file (which you opened in step 3).
7. Tap the save icon or use the back button and then select save, to store the changes made to the file.
And that is how to block YouTube completely on Android. Simple wasn’t it?
Now, try accessing YouTube on your phone. The website will be blocked in every app.