Apple’s latest mobile operating system is ready for testing, and here’s how to install iOS 12 public beta on your iPhone and iPad. We do not recommend using your main iOS device with the new OS.
Why? Because the OS is still in beta, and it could have bugs which will need to be fixed by Apple. That’s the whole idea for offering a public beta.
We recommend that you take a backup of all your important data using iTunes, before installing iOS 12 public beta. Plug in your device to the wall charger, so it doesn’t run out of juice mid-way during the update process.
How to install iOS 12 public beta on your iPhone and iPad:
- Visit the official Apple Beta Software Program website on your iOS device.
- Click on the sign up option.
- Login to your Apple id.
- You will be prompted to download the profile for iOS 12. Accept the terms
- Go to the Settings > General > Software Update screen.
- Click the download now option to begin downloading the iOS 12 public beta on your iPhone or iPad.
- Wait for the update to be downloaded, and when the Install Now option is available, tap it.
- Reboot the device when the prompt appears.
- Wait for the update to install, it takes a lot of time.
- When the device finishes the process and boots to iOS 12, you will see the welcome screen along with some tips about the new features in iOS 12.
And that’s it. Now you know how to install iOS 12 public beta.
The iOS 12 update size was around 2.2GB for the iPad 2017, which was on iOS 11.4. If everything went well, you should lose none of your data, and the device should work perfectly.
You may want to go to Settings > Privacy > Analytics and disable sharing the usage statistics with Apple. This is optional of course.