Recently, I ordered a flash cart to play DS games on my Nintendo DS Lite. The instructions on the manufacturer’s website were really odd, so instead of going with that, I opted for a third-party firmware. That’s why I decided to help fellow DS fans with this how to install R4i 3DS Gold Plus flash cart, article
Things you will need:
- R4i 3DS Gold Plus flash cart
- A compatible Nintendo DS device
- An SD card formatted to FAT32
- A computer
- A USB memory card reader (one is included in the package of the R4i 3DS Gold Plus).
The R4i 3DS Gold Plus flash cart is made by R4ids.cn, and their instructions involve the user needing a magnet to put the device in sleep mode (for the DS Lite), and using a key combination to boot to the firmware menu, and then installing the said firmware. In fact, you need to download 4 files using the official method, rename one of those files, create a folder, and moving some files to the created folder.
Why bother with all this. when you can download one archive and be done with it? Say hello to the R4 Wood kernel.
How to install R4i 3DS Gold Plus flash cart for Nintendo DS, DS Lite, 2DS, 3DS
1. Download the Wood R4 V1.62 kernel from the official website.
2. Extract the contents of the archive to any folder.
3. Plug the USB memory card reader (with the SD card in it) to the PC. Make sure it is formatted using the Fat32 file system.
4. Copy the folder named “__rpg” and the file named “_DS_MENU.DAT” to the root folder of your SD Card. That is the main folder.
5. Unplug the memory card reader from the PC, and take the SD card out.
6. Insert the SD Card to the R4i 3DS Gold Plus flash cart.
7. Take your Nintendo DS Lite (or another compatible device), and insert the cartridge in the DS card slot.
8. Power on the console.
9. Press A or Start to load the flash cart.
That’s it. You will be on the R4 Wood menu.
How simple was that? Compared to the official instructions, this how to install R4i 3DS Gold Plus guide is pretty straightforward.
- You don’t need to put your device in sleep mode.
- You don’t need to use a magnet.
- You don’t need to use any key combo to install the firmware.
Now all you need to do is to copy your favorite games to the flash cart. You can put them on the root folder, or create a separate folder and place the .NDS roms there. Your card is ready for use.
Remember to extract the NDS roms. Don’t put the 7z or Zip or RAR files on the cart directly, because the cart cannot read those.
How to switch between DS mode and NTRBoot mode on the R4i 3DS Gold Plus flash cart
If you want to use the flash cart on your 2DS or 3DS console, you need to follow some extra steps.
1. You need to open the flash cart. Don’t worry you don’t need any tools for this.
2. With the front of the cart facing you (the side which has the holographic logo), look at the bottom edge of the cart. You may notice a small gap there which means the cart can be opened.
3.Hold the upper portion of the cart with your thumb and index finger. Use your other thumb to pry open the cart (from one of the bottom corners) gently. Don’t apply pressure. You can use a fingernail too.
4.The cart should pop open and you can take the cover off.
5. Flip the board over so that it rests on the front cover, like so.
6. On the board, you will see a switch and the letters N and D. If the switch is over the letter D, the flash cart it is in the DS mode.
7. Use our fingernail to push it to the left, to the N mode, aka the NTRBoot mode.
8. Put the cover back on carefully, and plug it to the console.
You can now use the R4i 3DS Gold Plus flash cart on your Nintendo 3DS, 2DS, 2DS XL or 3DS XL.
Again, that was simple, wasn’t it?
The R4i 3DS Gold Plus flash cart flash cart supports all DS variants from Nintendo including the original DS, DS Lite, DSi, 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL and the 2DS XL.
I ordered the cart from NDS-Card.com for $19.99 (shipping costs $1.99 for faster delivery + online tracking). The payment method for which you have to contact them over email, is very odd, but I can vouch for it. It took 12 days for the product to ship from China to my doorstep in India.
If you found this How to install R4i 3DS Gold Plus guide useful, you may want to read up our EZ Flash Omega unboxing, which contains a similar tutorial.