Do you want to know how to recover data after LockCrypt Ransomware attack? If your computer is infected by the nasty encryption malware, you can get your data back for free. And that is thanks to Romanian antivirus and security research company, Bitdefender Labs, which has released a free decryption tool which targets this specific malware.
But there is a catch. The tool from Bitdefender can only decrypt the files which were encrypted with the .1btc extensions.
Unfortunately, the malware encrypts data in 5 file formats:
So, 4 of the other formats cannot be decrypted using the LockCrypt Ransomware Decryption Tool. Out of those, the .bi_d remains the only extension which cannot be decrypted.
You don’t need to tech-literate (computer savvy) to learn how to recover data after LockCrypt Ransomware attack. It is a very simple process.
Disclaimer: We have not tested this tool. We merely came across the news, and thought we could do our part to help those in need. So, you shouldn’t blame us if you lose your data.
How to recover data after LockCrypt Ransomware attack
1. Download the LockCrypt Ransomware Decryption Tool from the Bitdefender website. The application is about 9MB and works offline.
2. Copy it on to the infected PC, and run the “BDLockCryptDecryptor.exe” as an administrator.
3. Accept the EULA, and choose from the Scan options available. BitDefender says it is good to select “Backup files” before the decryption begins. This is just in case something in the ransomware which can trigger it to delete your data.
4. Start the scan in the tool, and wait for the process to complete.
5. When it finishes you should have your data back.
That’s all you need to do. Isn’t it simple? So, in case you know somebody who has been impacted by this malware, you can tell them not to pay for the data. Instead, use our guide to tell them how to recover data after LockCrypt Ransomware attack, for free. Bitdefender says that the company is working on adding support for the other file extensions which the ransomware uses to encrypt the data into.